Beetbabies

Charla and Tara (name that reference!)'s friendship hails back to the days of yore, to nursery rhymes and toys, scrunched hair and entire cakes. Now living in two different cities, sharing our urban and semi-urban adventures. Basically, conversations about low-calorie snacks and boys, with random other things sprinkled in.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

the dangers of lack of caller id

the ExBoy (or, as your mom would say, "the X") just called me. Background info is that in the "purge all his belongings and lock them up in a box while listening to KC obnoxiously loudly" incident, I also deleted his phone number from my phone. Of course I still know his phone number, but in drunken moments, it's really helpful to have those extra steps in dialing, as added disincentive.

Anyway, so my phone rings, and I initially thought it was MiRa, who I LOVE talking to. So I was totally offguard by the ExBoy, especially since he apparently lost his voice so it was all scratchy and unfamiliar, and it really did take me at least 30 secs to be sure who it was!

We talked for 20 mins with not too many awkward silences, friendly buddy pals-style, and I really was doing a good job of doing the easy breezy beautiful thing, I think. I think I came across as happy.

Until he was like, "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't respond to your email! I've been really busy." Me, thinking, okay, fine, no big deal, my email was a response to his and didn't involve anything that really demanded a response, no question waiting to be answered, etc. So I said, not really thinking, "Oh, don't worry about it, I hadn't really realized that you didn't respond." He gave sort of this awkward "ho ho" laugh, and then was like, "Ouch" and I was like, "Um. I didn't really mean it like that! Oops! Sorry!" and then even though I actually DID mean that I wasn't waiting around for him to respond and hadn't realized, I WAY overdid it on the "sorry, that's not how I meant it"'s, which made me lose all easybreezybeautiful credibility and I fear I ended up sounding like a total wreck instead.

Which, let's be honest, sometimes I am.

Anyway. I don't think I should answer the phone next time. Talking to him makes me sad. I can't do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker