Beetbabies

Charla and Tara (name that reference!)'s friendship hails back to the days of yore, to nursery rhymes and toys, scrunched hair and entire cakes. Now living in two different cities, sharing our urban and semi-urban adventures. Basically, conversations about low-calorie snacks and boys, with random other things sprinkled in.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

a simple thank you would do

so I'm a firm believer in etiquette (hence my collection of vintage books about manners). Even more than etiquette, though, is just a basic respect for other people. I fire off thank you notes before the gift wrapping has even been thrown out, I always RSVP promptly, etc. Is it unreasonable to expect the same in return?

Particularly when said efforts involve the U.S. Postal Service (See: Valentine's Day Fiasco '06), a simple email acknowledging receipt would be LOVELY. My mom, for example, sent me an email saying she had received her bday present and "merci beaucoup" and "xoxoxox." Ditto for Charla and Valentine's Day. My brother called me to say he was so surprised and I had made his day. I don't include these examples to imply that I need gushing gratitude to make it worthwhile for me! No, no, no! A simple email or phone call just to let me know it has ARRIVED saves me the worry and headache of fretting.

Some brief background: A certain exboyfriend, let's call him "Jolie," and I have recently rekindled email contact after a few years of not speaking. As a token of our new friendship, I sent him a birthday card. During the midst of my Hell Week, with every second accounted for, I raced to CVS, chose a card that was appropriately "friend"-y with no overtones of romance or ambivalent feelings, wrote a message to match, and then trekked to the post office to have them weigh it for extra postage. And I have heard nothing since. Now I feel like a jackass for extending the peace pipe, waving the white flag, letting the dove fly, etc.

Am I being crazy?!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed! so rude.

4:22 PM  
Blogger tarabeet said...

just to update, STILL NO RESPONSE.

i hope he crawls back to his alien planet.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker